Micro Teaching Reflection

I had the privilege of completing my Micro Teaching at Tyrone Area High School with Mrs. Hoy. I learned a lot over the last few days. This was definitely a challenge but I had a lot of fun along the way. I got to teach about the water cycle for three days and the last day being a soil erosion lab.

Even though we had fun and did some cool things, it proved to be a challenging time. The students were a rowdy bunch and that made it difficult to teach. It was challenging because the class is a very talkative group. With the group being so talkative, it made it challenging to keep students on task. That was the hardest part. It became frustrating at times when students were not paying attention and acting up in class.


With that learning challenge, there was still progress made. On the first day, I gave the students a quiz before any content to see what they knew. The class average on that quiz was a 20%. On the final day, I gave that same quiz on the water cycle and the class average was a 70%. There was definitely some growth in the classroom. I would have liked to see more, but I will still count this as a success.



In my second class, I did a water cycle game. That water cycle game involved throwing pieces of paper as if they were amounts of water. The class was broken up into groups and every group has a reservoir/destination in the water cycle. students had to throw the pieces of paper from one location to the next simulating the movement of water. Even though this game sounded fun, the students are a challenging group which made the game challenging. I would not do this game again with a rowdy group of students.

My final day we looked at water erosion and tested different soil materials to see how erosive the soil was and to see how the soil would pollute the water. We looked at topsoil, mulch, sand, gravel, grass, and moss. In the end, I enjoyed the activity because it got the students involved and was able to let the students see first hand how water moves through different soils.




My biggest takeaway from this experience was learning what I still need to work on. I need to work on my classroom management. I am too nice. It's funny how that is a problem. I need to work on not being so nice and laying down the law. Calling students out when they are acting up. I feel like I will be able to do a slightly better job of that when I am student teaching because those will be "my students". It was hard knowing how to respond to students misbehaving when they aren't your students and you only have them for only three days. I look forward to learning about that in the last week of the semester in AEE 412.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Biology Class Observation

Problem Solving Approach Reflection

Week 1 - Remain Calm and Teach On