Problem Solving Approach Reflection

I used the Problem Solving Approach to introduce a new topic of invasive and exotic pests that are impacting our Pennsylvania Forests. This would be done in lesson 10. The first 9 lessons will be based on dendrology and learning common Pennsylvania tree species. This lesson then leads into the forest management part of the unit.

I brought in real examples for students to feel and see first hand what hemlock woolly adelgid and emerald ash borer really look like. Then we were able to connect this to the actual problem-solving approach. Students were asked, How can we manage our forests and ecosystems today when we are losing our ash and hemlock? What is the solution to this problem? The students then broke up into partners and began to research different possible solutions to this real-world problem.



I really liked using the problem solving approach to introduce this topic and lesson. I thought the lesson went well but there are three major things. One is how I can better prepare and the other two are teaching strategies that I need to improve on.

1.) I should have provided a note-taking page for students. This way during the introductions to the invasive pests, students would have more information in front of them to refer to. I did give the student's handout fact sheets from the USDA and Penn State Extension that listed information on both of the pests.

2.) I need to work on taking my time during a lesson. Today, I talked way to fast because I was so excited about this topic! But because of that excitement, I didn't ask as many questions to the students and I may have gone through the information to fast.

3.) Lastly, I need to really continue to work on my classroom management strategies. Today I had a student on their phone and another student sleeping but I failed to notice because I was only focusing on the student that was engaging in the lesson. I need to make sure that I focus on all the students in the classroom and not just the ones that are engaging back.

I would love any tips on how to better improve in my struggle areas!

Comments

  1. A piece of advice that I could give is in your lesson plan purposefully write in questions that you want to ask your students. This will allow you to ask more questions because they are built in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brandon! Nice reflection, I know when I teach about something in my content area, I get excited too and end up missing pieces of how it connects. This week, I bolded questions on my lesson plan. It really seemed to help and some oh the questions strategically led into the text topic which can help with transitions! Great job! Loved this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sad that I missed your lab this past week, it sounds like it was really fun! I think that the first step in working on the areas you struggle, is to honestly recognize that your enthusiasm can sometimes hinder your teaching. Maybe making some notes to yourself in your lesson plan to remind yourself to pause in slow down would be helpful?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Biology Class Observation

Week 1 - Remain Calm and Teach On