Week 2 - Keep Flying

This week flew by! Granted it was only a four-day week, but I can't believe it is already over! For it only being a short week, we accomplished a lot of great things! One of the most interesting things that happened this week was on Tuesday, we had IEP meetings all morning. This was really cool to see IEP meetings from a different perspective and to see the school working hard to make the student be as successful as possible. There can be a lot of hoops to jump through sometimes to create a healthy and active learning environment for a number of different IEP's in the same class. But going to the learning support teacher and working with them makes that possible. 

On Thursday, the FFA State Officers came to visit CASH! They lead leadership and team-building workshops all day. Each class has a different group of kids with different personalities. It was cool to see some students come out of their shells and participate in the activities. Overall, the students learned a lot and it made to be a great experience.





This week I took over my first class! I am teaching a soils unit in the Ag 3/4 class and it went really well. I tried a fun activity with Poll Everywhere. The students send in one or two-word responses and the program makes a word graph. The question was, "Why is soil science important?" This activity was fun and I can't wait to use it in other classes!


Next week, we will have projects, presentations, and a soil texture lab. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the students can create and come up with! I also will take over the Ag 2 class and start the woodshop unit. The students already have some woodshop projects that they are working on and I am looking forward to seeing where they are in their projects. The plan is to set daily goals and try to finish their projects within the three-week unit!

By far, the highlight of this week was Wednesday. Ms. Metrick had a doctor's appointment and was only at the school for half of the day. A sub came in but I had the opportunity to take over some of the classes. Which went really well! What didn't go so well was during the plan period at the end of the day. I was in the classroom by myself and I was starting to work on my greenhouse unit. I decided to go and look at some things in the greenhouse to see what resources are available. Fun fact, when you go into the greenhouse, the door locks behind you. So yes, I locked myself in the greenhouse when no one was around! I had to send a text to Ms. Metrick asking her to send help! I have definitely learned my lesson. I am just thankful, that I had my phone in my pocket! 

Comments

  1. Brandon,
    Gentle reminder/suggestion to make these weekly blogs more helpful to both present and future Brandon by:
    1) Clearly indicating a question you hope readers answer for you (bold, easy to see)
    2) Clearly identify the gems or pro tips (1 or 2) you picked up this week that you want to hold on to for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brandon!

    Learning on the go is definitely great! My first two weeks at my current job - I set the alarm off twice. No one told me it was there. The first time, I had no idea. The second time, I was greeted by the state police and had to walk them through the school. I don't go to the school on weekends anymore.

    I was not and still am not great at coming up with questions before hand. Don't stress. For me it came easier with practice and experience. As long as you are aware and keep working on it, it will get easier.

    Great blog! Good luck and have fun at your FFA meeting on Thursday!

    Karlie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Biology Class Observation

Problem Solving Approach Reflection

Week 1 - Remain Calm and Teach On