Week 1 - Remain Calm and Teach On

It's hard to believe that week 1 of my student teaching internship is already complete! The week flew by! It was an enjoyable week just simply learning the system and planning out the entire 15 weeks. Most of all, I had so much fun. I had the chance to learn from some of my students. To hear their passions and see learning! The highlight of the week was watching kids have fun making butter. Something so simple and yet the students had such a great time and learned a lot. If there is one thing that this week has made me realize, is to remain calm and teach on.



I have been worrying and stressing about student teaching for months. Now I look back and all I can do is laugh! There was nothing to worry or stress about. Having that growth mindset and being willing to learn through this process makes a world of a difference. Now that I have my bearings, I can't wait to start teaching classes.

Week 1 is designed to be an observation week, to learn your role as a student teacher. Week 2, I pick up my first class. I will be starting a soils unit with the AG 3/4 class. Through planning out the next 15 weeks, I have learned that there is no such thing as a "normal" week in Ag Ed. Next week is a perfect example! Monday we have no school, Tuesday is almost a half day because we have IEP meetings all morning, Wednesday is normal, Thursday the state FFA officers visit, and then it's Friday! Week 2 is going to fly!

I am looking forward to trying to find time in a busy week to sit down with Ms. Metrick and to start planning some of the other units for later in the semester. We are working on planning a spring fundraiser, different units, guest speakers, and professional/leadership development events. Learning how to stay ahead of planning but at the same time be ready for the current day.


Comments

  1. Sounds like you had a good first week. I look forward to following your experiences throughout the semester.

    Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for your soils unit! You are going to do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never miss the opportunity to make a personal connection with a student. To get to know them better and why they are in your class.

    DF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for soils! I hope it is going well this week!! And there is definitely nothing "normal" in the ag classroom, there is always something going on. You are going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Biology Class Observation

Problem Solving Approach Reflection