RTL Reflection

This assignment was interesting to say the least. When we first received this assignment on Monday, I was at a loss for words because of my topic. I had to teach a class on how to construct the origami butterfly. This was a daunting task due to the fact of I had no idea on how to do this myself. After watching YouTube video after YouTube video, I learned how to do it and formed a lesson plan.    

As I go and watch my lesson on Edthena, I see a few things. One, I don’t feel like I did that bad of a job. My objective was to have the students create an origami butterfly on their own and they did that. Second, I have a lot of work to do in improving my teaching methods. I was told that during the instructions, I made it seem like it was a fire drill. I would agree! I see that when I give instructional learning, I need to slow down and give more detailed instructions. I also see that I need to better manage my classroom and student behavior. Hopefully we will learn more about that this semester.    

I thought this was a cool assignment because it took a basic task and turned it into instructional learning. Reminded me on how someone would teach instructional learning in an Ag Mechanics classroom. It is the same principle, introduce a topic, demonstrate how to do the topic, and then let the students do it. As stressful as this was to dive straight into this on the first week, I thought it went rather well.  

Comments

  1. I like your connection to your lesson preparing you for an Ag Mechanics classroom, that is one that I didn't think about. I'm also proud of the improvement you made from your first butterfly attempt to what you were able to make during your lesson, its shows that you are willing to invest time into learning new things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also liked your connection to Ag mechanics. Instructional sets are hard to begin and adding a skill that you had no clue about made it harder to understand but, you handled it well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that we all will learn and grow this semester, especially in the area of instruction. I know that personally I have trouble with rewording, I struggle to find a better or different way to make myself more clear to the students. I really think that this was a great baseline and I think you preformed very well. I also really like that you admitted to needing help, we will all need to ask others for help at some point in our careers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brandon, I think you rocked it out! Though origami is not your thing, you proved that you were willing to overcome an adapt to the situation. It takes time to learn a skill set like that and you made the effort to do your homework in order to teach others. That's what its all about! Nice Reflection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Biology Class Observation

Problem Solving Approach Reflection

Week 1 - Remain Calm and Teach On